Welcome to Minneapolis Lakes
Minneapolis’ scenic Chain of Lakes begins just five minutes from downtown and is wrapped in miles of some of the grandest, elegant homes in the Twin Cities. Connected by over 80 miles of pedestrian and bike paths that are part of the Grand Rounds Scenic Byway, this charming and panoramic region has helped Minneapolis gain its ranking as one of the top five walking and biking cities in the United States.
Composed of four different lakes—Lake of the Isles, Lake Harriet, Cedar Lake, and Lake Bde Maka Ska—this area does not allow motors on the water, so it is an idyllic setting for canoes, paddleboards, and kayaks. Winter is enjoyable due to several large skating and hockey rinks.
There are several beaches here, along with volleyball courts, an athletic field, and a children’s playground. In Lake Harriet, there’s an outdoor bandshell that offers free concerts nightly throughout the summer. The surrounding neighborhoods of Linden Hills and Edina offer a variety of exquisite architectural gems.
What to Love
- Features many elegant, grand homes
- Connected by over 80 miles of pedestrian and bike paths
- An idyllic setting for canoes, paddleboards, and kayaks
People & Lifestyle
These affluent neighborhoods are populated by well-heeled families and young professionals who enjoy the plentiful property and bucolic access to the city’s picturesque lakes. The lifestyle here is focused on outdoor activities. Residents enjoy swimming, fishing, and boating during the warm weather months and skating in the winter.
Dining, Entertainment & Shopping
In the spring and summer, locals stop at Bread & Pickle
, a waterfront counter-serve offering burgers, lobster rolls, and organic American fare. Sebastian Joe's
, another warm-weather outpost, serves ice cream and coffee from its Lowry Hill and Linden Hills locations.
Things to Do
Kick back and take it easy. Life is all about relaxing on Minneapolis Lake. Residents here enjoy hiking, biking, and catching some rays on the shore.
Minneapolis Lakes is home to many excellent schools. Top educational opportunities include:
- Southwest Senior High School, a four-year comprehensive public high school, is located in Minneapolis’s Linden Hills neighborhood. It is one of 10 high schools in the Minneapolis Public Schools district. Southwest offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- The Blake School, a private, coeducational, nonsectarian PK–12 college preparatory day school, was established in 1900.